Aside from being pretty, there are plenty of perks, as far as houseplants are concerned. Not only do our leafy, green friends purify the air and boost the amount of oxygen in your living space, but studies have shown that having some flora in your workspace reduces sickness by 60%. They can also reduce stress, sharpen focus, and create a calm, peaceful atmosphere, thereby improving your mental health altogether. Best part? Caring for another living organism is likely to increase your level of compassion (which means your human relationships will benefit, as well).
Integrating new greenery into your space is a snap: "Consider mixing and layering different types of plants in strategically placed clusters through your home," says our Senior Designer, Helena Morozoff. "While a single pot with a single bloom makes a world of difference on your office desk or on your bedroom window, having a more statement grouping will transform just about any space. Play with pots and scale! Having the right vessel is just as important as having the right plant. By mixing materials, textures, sizes and shapes, it is very easy to create just the right touch of a sometimes-missing element in a space. Matte terra-cotta & clay, glossy ceramic, aged metal or a colored pot can easily read as a less obvious equivalent/substitute to that decorative pillow."
Lucky for us all, there’s a plethora of local spots to pick them up. Here are a few of our favorites…
1. Orchid Dynasty: This Salt Lake staple has recently set up shop at their new location in the Granary District, and we can attest that the space is stunning. Beyond their fabulous array of arrangements and—of course—orchids, they’ve got a stunning new green house and a thiiiis-close-to-being-complete cafe, so’s you can sip while you browse. Our recommendation? Bring a book. Snag a spot. Bask in it. 365 W 900 S, Mon - Fri 9:00a -6:00p. Sat. 9:00a - 5:00p.
2. Cactus and Tropicals: Besides having a vibe so nice you’ll all but want to ask for the WiFi password and a spare key so you can move right in, Cactus & Tropicals boast a plethora of plants, flowers, and trees to fit your every need. This spot also plays host to all manner of events, weddings included, but even if you’re just looking for a quick break from the day, a simple walk around these misty grounds is a perennial stress-reliever. 2735 S 2000 E., Mon. – Sat. 10:00a - 6:00p, Sun. 11:00a - 5:00p.
3. Millcreek Gardens: This garden spot has an extensive inventory of outdoor plants, trees, and shrubs as well as an adorable little cottage brimming with delightful houseplants. With so many arboreal options, you’re bound to find the perfect sprig for your nightstand or topiary for your patio space—just in time for cooler, fall-time hangs. 3500 S. 900 E. Mon. - Fri. 9:00a - 7:00p, Sat. 9:00a - 6:00p.
4. Paradise Palm: This leafy spot—perched in a primo Broadway locale—has their own unique array of tropical plants, trees, and premium organic soil mixes to make sure your new friend gets all the necessary goodies they need to thrive. The garage door is usually open, and the feeling in here is akin to a calm, quiet jungle. To which we always say "yes." 307 E. 300 S., Mon. - Sat. 11:00a - 6:00p.
5. Thyme and Place: Yes, we’ve featured this Central 9th spot before, but we couldn’t leave this particular petal-er off our list. Their clean, simple space invites you right in, and there’s a beautiful assortment of plants and handmade planters to choose from. They also offer a hands-on tutorial on how to arrange and care for your new housemate, so all your botanical bases are covered. 362 E. 900 S., Tues. - Sun., 11:00a - 6:00p.